Final Project

Screen Shot 2015-12-20 at 9.26.10 PM

For my final project I chose to use shape and texture within my design. To activate my entire composition I use the foreground for my shapes and added the texture to the background. There is asymmetrical balance, and the weight is distributed by using the contrasting colors of orange and blue. To establish a visual flow I created a directional dominance from the bottom left to the top right. The circles lead the eye round motions. The focal point is the circle on the bottom left. The negative space in the center draws the eye to it. The painting is a mix of warm and cool tones. While the main color dominance is orange, the blue balances out the picture.

The concept of my design was to have a bubbly composition that used circles and repetition. I used orange as my color dominance with its analogous colors of red and yellow. After I finished the painting, I realized I wanted to add texture. I thought the best way to convey a “bubbly” emotion was to use actual bubbles. I dyed my bubble blue and popped them over my negative space.

I think my piece was overall successful. Although I did use a compass to create the circles, I wish the outlines were done better. My design incorporates the basic principals of organization such as establishing a directional dominance andĀ repetition. The end result is how I imagined my piece would look. I am pleased with the overall meaning that I conveyed.

Advertisements

Color Depth Collage

Screen Shot 2015-12-13 at 10.13.01 PM

For this project I used blue and orange. I created the depth by creating painting newspaper with different shades and tints of the two colors. Blue has a higher intensity than orange so I used it for the darker shades. Since the orange is lighter, I replaced the white with a light orange. I think my piece was overall successful except for the fact that it is not the correct size. In all honesty, I was not careful in reading the dimensions and I did not use the right size paper for the project.

Color Schemes

For my monochromatic color I chose blue. I used different shades and tints of blue to create a broad value range. For my analogous painting is use blue, blue green, and green. Blue was the darker of the two so I used it to create the darker values, and green for the lighter values.

Value Portrait

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 7.08.41 PM

My portrait takes up roughly 75% of the composition. I tried to use all 9 shades that I made to create a broad range of value. The values can be broken in flat planes. Using a grid helped with the placement of the different value pieces. I did not outline any facial features, instead I broke everything up into small shapes such as the eyebrows and eyelashes.

Organizing the Random

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 7.50.14 PM

The first thing I should point out is my obvious focal point. It wasn’t until the end that I realized it was in the center. I wish I could go back and change it, but the tape would have ripped the paper.Besides the focal point, I tried to make a visual flow by establishing a directional dominance from the bottom left to the top right. My words were graceful, texture, and organic shape. My material was black tape. It was difficult to combine “graceful” with black tape but I though the curves and circular shapes gave it a softer feel.

Texture

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 7.21.35 PM

A main problem I did pay attention was the focal point. The focal point in in the center of the pieceĀ is emphasized due to the converging lines. As for a visual flow, I think my piece is interesting to look at and the viewers eye can move around from the diagonals. I created many different textures such as fur and metal by creating highlight and shadows that would make the shape appear 3D and metallic.

Shape & Space Composition

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 7.11.12 PM

The shapes I created/ used were placed in a way the emphasizes the positive and negative space. The black and white shapes take up approximately half of the page. I tried to cut my shapes as accurate I could to the original pieces. Some of the shapes are not as defined as the original though. I tried to create balance by placing the densest shape on the bottom, then I added the most detailed shape at the top. I think my piece was successful, however, I wish I payed more attention to the detail on the top. I also wish I had glued the bottom pieces closer to the center.